Saturday, 2 September 2017

Nigerians-seek-end-to-killings-in-south-africa/



According to the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora Abike Dabiri-Erewa, its displeasing over the incessant extra judicial killings of Nigerians living in South Africa.
In a statement by her Special Assistant on Media, Abdurrahman Balogun, the Presidential aide said ” this is one death, too many”
She said in spite of all diplomatic talks between Nigeria and South Africa to put an early warning signal in place,” it doesn’t seem to be working”.
The Nigeria Union in South Africa has confirmed the killing of another member, Kingsley Ikeri, at Vryheid town in Kwazulu Natal Province of South Africa on August 30.
Ikeri, 27, was a businessman and native of Mbaitolu in Imo State and the second Imo indigene to be so killed in the last two weeks.
Dabiri-Erewa described the latest extra judicial killing of another Nigerian in South Africa as “worrying and condemn-able”.
She said that the latest gruesome killing of Ikeri by the Police in South Africa is “unacceptable to the people and government of Nigeria”.
While reiterating President Muhammadu Buhari’s calls to Nigerians to avoid crimes like drug peddling which attracts stiff penalties, sometimes death, she noted that the latest killing has increased the number of Nigerians killed in South Africa through extrajudicial means in the last one year.
“The barbaric behaviour of the perpetrators is not only unacceptable, but also calls for urgent attention by diplomatic authorities in Nigeria and South Africa”, she said.
Dabiri-Erewa urged the South African government to ensure that justice prevails by carrying out investigation and bring the culprit to book.
She reiterated her calls to Nigerians living abroad to always respect the laws of their host countries and be good ambassadors of Nigeria.
“My heart goes out to the families of the deceased and I pray God to grant the departed soul eternal rest”, the SSA stated.
Bartholomew Eziagulu, Chairman of the Nigerian Union in the province, disclosed that Mr. Ikeri was allegedly tortured to death by the police.
He said the union’s investigations revealed that the police arrested the deceased and a friend on suspicion that they were carrying hard drugs.
“While interrogating him, the police used plastic to cover his face to extort information from him.
“In the process, they suffocated the deceased. When the police took him to the hospital, he was confirmed dead,” he said.
The Secretary General of the union, Adetola Olubajo, noted that the national secretariat had been informed about the death of the Nigerian.
He said the body had informed the appropriate Nigerian authorities and the police in South Africa.
A report has it that a senior Diplomat from the Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg had visited Vryheid on a fact-finding mission.
In February Mrs. Dabiri-Erewa met with the South Africa High Commissioner, Mr. Lulu Louis Mnguni in Abuja, where he said a total of 116 Nigerians have been killed in South Africa through extrajudicial means in the last two years.
Seven out of 10 of the killings were carried out by the South African Police.

Nnamdi Kanu's Re-arrest

Nzuko Umunna has warned the federal government against its plan to rearrest Nnamdi Kanu - The group said the plan by the attorney general and minister of justice Abubakar Malami to kick-start process for Kanu's rearrest is ill-advised - The group also threw its weight behind the Ohanaeze Ndigbo for cautioning the Federal government against Kanu An Igbo group has advised the federal governmnet against its recent move to rearrest the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra Nnamdi Kanu. The group Nzuko Umunna also called threw its total support behind the apex Igbo Group Ohanaeze Ndigbo for cautioning the federal government, the attorney general of the federation and minister of justice Abubakar Malami on possible actions against Kanu. In a statement signed by its secretary general and publicity secretary Paschal Mbanefo and Jude Ndukwe, Nzuko Umunna said the intervention by Ohanaeze Ndigbo on the issue is one of the most historic and patriotic commentaries in the recent political annals of Nigeria 

Image result for nnamdi kanu

"As an organization that is deeply concerned about the degenerating fragility of peace and security of the country, we strongly believe that just as the AGF in his wisdom cited security reasons for not ordering the arrest of Arewa Youths who brazenly issued quit notice to Igbo people living in the North or those who composed genocidal song against Ndigbo, revoking Kanu’s bail and re-arresting him at this inflamed time will not in any way advance the course of peace. It will rather create crisis of monumental proportion, especially in the South East and South-South where he commands fanatical followership. Nzuko Umunna therefore cautions that at this tempestuous period of our national life, the AGF and indeed other officials of government, must exercise utmost discretion in their decisions, especially such that have the potency and capacity to inflame sentiments, aggravate tension, heat up an already fragile polity and ignite crisis in any part of the country," Nzuko Umunna said. Nzuko Umunna said since Nigeria is currently practicing democracy Kanu and other agitators of self-determination have done nothing wrong against the state. The group said Kanu and his fellow agitators have only expressed their fundamental right of speech, association and of movement 

2019 Presidential Poll-Dangote -turns-pdps-offer-run-2019-presidential-race.html

-Alhaji Aliko Dangote says he is a businessman and not a politician and his name should not be tied to politics - The business mogul says even if he joined politics, he would never contest against President Buhari who is like a father to him - Dangote says he is more concerned about his business projects and empowering Nigerians through creating jobs Billionaire businessman Aliko Dangote has rejected moves by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to get him to contest in the 2019 presidential race on its platform. According to Daily Times, Dangote declared categorically in a phone interview that he has no interest in politics and nobody or party should tie him to it.
Image result for dangote

He said: “I am an entrepreneur. My passion is to create jobs for Nigerians and not otherwise. “I am not interested in politics and this is authoritative. No member of any think tank committee has contacted me. People should stop dropping my name for the 2019 presidency.” Dangote also alleged that some people were peddling the rumours to bring him on collision course with President Buhari. He said: “This whole thing is an attempt by people who do not like me. They are doing all these with a view to putting me on a collision course with President Muhammadu Buhari and the ruling party. They are people who are jealous of the successes I have so far recorded in business. “My passion is for business development, provision of jobs and wealth creation, not politics. “I have never shown interest in politics. Am not interested in politics. I am not a politician. My passion has always been business and business. Read more: https://www.naij.com/1123287-dangote-turns-pdps-offer-run-2019-presidential-race.html

Nigerians-seek-end-to-killings-in-south-africa/

According to the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora Abike Dabiri-Erewa, its displeasing over the i...